Monday, June 2, 2008

Zooma Annapolis half-marathon

Inaugural! Hmm, so we did the 2nd Disneyland Half in 2007, the Inaugural Tower of Terror, the Inaugural Marine Corps Historic Half, and now the Inaugural Zooma Annapolis Half. I'm practicing some restraint and passing up the Inaugural Baltimore 10-miler and the Inaugural Disney Princess Half...

Tech shirt with cool design.



When I went to go pick up my number, I was almost embarassed to wear such a low number. gulp.


Laura came over Saturday night and we carb loaded on garlic bread and whole-wheat pasta with sauce and IKEA meatballs. I crashed out around 8pm and went to bed. Laura fell asleep on the couch watching hockey. Seems familiar...

Got up dark and early the next morning and drove to the Navy stadium.


More pictures later - I tried to use the disposable camera more this time since Cedric wasn't there. But some pictures I missed.
-An Asian guy wearing number 9. It was virtual Cedric!
-A woman with really ugly shorts. I should have asked her where she got those.
-A pic of Laura's lonely car in the parking field. We stayed until the very end and was the last car left.

Went looking for the 10:00 pace group, but there was none. Went to the 9:00 instead and saw Jeremy the detailer! He ran his first 5k in March, and now he's running a half-marathon. He's tall, young, and faster than me. But he's never run more than 10 miles.

Hilly! Laura and Jeremy leave me behind at mile 1. That first bridge is a killer. I walk. but I see them after the turnaround. Laura's in front of the 9:00 pace girl. Jeremy is a few yards behind her. I continue to the turnaround at mile 7.5. Later at mile 8, I see Jeremy walking. I have him run with me, and we managed to motivate each other to stay running to the end.

Laura
Overall: 142 out of 610
Division: 23 out of 131
Half-Marathon: 1:58:51
Pace: 9:04

Cindy
Overall: 385 out of 610
Division: 98 out of 131
Half-Marathon: 2:18:24 PR!!
Pace: 10:34

Jeremy
Overall: 33 out of 44
Division: 1 out of 1 Woo Hoo!
Half-Marathon: 2:18:20
Pace: 10:34

I got passed by:
-Runaway Bride and Runaway Bride Crew (there are pictures coming)
-2 pregnant ladies. I was pacing around one of them, but I didn't know she was pregnant. She was tiny - and I only saw her from the back. Probably 4 months along. I think she finished slightly in front of me. There was another REALLY pregnant lady. She was also pretty fat and maybe 6+ months along. She finished before me, but then again I think she ran the 10k instead of the half.

Laura and I stay for lunch and take our time checking out the few vendors. Had some wine in the "wine garden" sponsored by Barefoot Winery from Modesto, CA. It was the same wine DC Strokes was giving away with their medals. They had the Shiraz, Pinot Grigio, and Muscato. The Muscato was good. I didn't care for the others. They also had massage and reflexology. We didn't realize there was a sign-up sheet so massage was full, but we signed up for the reflexology and were the next to last people to be done. I took a short nap on the blacktop while I waited. It was a nice day (especially under the tent) with steady breezes since we were so close to the water.

Overall, not as great as the Marine Corps Half. Not as organized.
-There was a balloon arch for the start line, but no one knew which end you started on!
-No time corrals, not even all the advertised pace groups were there.
-No course map publicized.
-The course was basically: run the long way around the stadium towards the Baltimore-Annapolis trail. Run along the trail 4 miles out, and 4 miles back, then finish after running a mile down a highway. Not very scenic, or creative.
-Needless to say: no bands, fewer cheering crowds.

But the tech shirt was nice, and the necklace (which I totally see myself snapping. yikes). But I think I'm spoiled on bling after the MCHH (t-shirt, big expo, medal, finisher coin, towel, cheaper registration fee, entertainment, running through towns and neighborhoods, block party...)

Even the boys got this "medal". I did get quite a few comments later from my friends who noticed me wearing it. They liked it, and I didn't even ask them. I guess it is pretty striking. I just noticed the little oval tag says "Zooma 6.01.08"


I think Laura's going to run the MCHH with us next year. And I guess that means I'm looking forward to doing that one again as well.

No comments: