Monday, May 12, 2008

A soggy Dad Vails

The regatta was off to an auspicious start when I arrived at my hotel with my roommate Allison. Stay away from the Quality Inn in Gloucester City, NJ. It was pretty gross. We got there late and were barely there 7 hours. Thank Goodness!

A room with a view...to a green pool and construction boots.


Broken deadbolt and pretty yucky linens.


The Dad Vail regatta in Philly was really soggy. It steadily rained all day. It was freezing. I should have brought my Blue Man Suit but I didn't. I brought my rollerblades instead. Yay me...


Going out in the launch. Chasing races all day Friday and for the first part of the morning on Saturday.



A bit of good news, the Chief Referee learned of the nastiness of the Quality Inn and got us "suites" at the Marriott since "suites" were all they had left. YAY!! Then we find out the Marriott was really a Residence Inn by Marriott and all the rooms were suites. We didn't care. It was a huge leap from the previous hotel. We made a mid-regatta trip back to Gloucester and reclaimed our stuff, our cars, and checked out. We headed back to the regatta to put in more time and fortunately/unfortunately they were running 30 minutes behind, so there was plenty of regatta left to work at.

Afterwards, we hit the reception for FOOD! Ate quickly then took the best.shower.ever at the Residence Inn. We turned in early and slept well (well, except for my 2:30am phone call by a wrong number who thought I was a towing company that had towed their trailer...).

Saturday I got assigned to the lunchtime Corporate Challenge races. Yippee. These are 500m races by people that pay big bucks for 6 practices and a race at the Dad Vails. The everybody-gets-a-medal kind of race. These In the Novice heat (there were also Intermediate and Senior categories), the rowing was bad as expected and two boats in my lane collided, and stops with oars and crews entangled. I untangled them and the race continued.

To my surprise, I later see the name and oars of the boat: A black Vespoli 8+ named "The Black Pearl" with Hopkins oars! BRC lent Hopkins the best 8+ we owned and they lent it to Novices from the Philadelphia area for a race! I was fuming! I called the Hopkins head coach from my cell phone as I was returning upriver in my launch and managed to calm down enough to use my "I'm disappointed in you" voice. It seemed to have worked and the coach apologized. I eventually calm down.

The weather got a little better that afternoon. I got assigned to Control Commission. So I got to strap on my rollerblades after all. On the way back, I stopped by the main vendor area. The Peepsmobile was there so of course, I had to stop and take some pictures.


A good regatta with good people. I had a blast hanging out with the girl referees. I'll pack better next year.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

was that a protein spill by the construction boots? nasty linens were at my hotel too but i had a big towel to wrap up in... it was a good location and a what-you-expect price.